Thursday, January 24, 2019

19 in 2019: George C. Reifel Migratory Bird Sanctuary



I couldn’t let January 2019 pass without knocking at least one thing off my 19 in 2019 list, so on January 13, my friend R and I headed up to Canada to check out The George C. Reifel Migratory Bird Sanctuary. For just $5 admission, we checked #18 off the list!

After coworkers told me about the sanctuary years ago, I knew to expect a large number of birds when we arrived. What I didn’t realize is just how many species we would see. We saw:


Canada Geese
Mallards
Wood Duck
Pintail Duck
Ring Neck Deck
American Wigeon
American Coot
Hooded Merganser
Bufflehead
Shoveler
Blue Heron
Snow Geese
Saw-Whet Owl (2 different ones)
Great Horned Owl
Bald Eagle
Red Wing Blackbird
And a bunch of finches and robins

These are just the ones I remember too. I’m sure there were more. We saw thousands of birds. Sometimes, we were surrounded by ducks all around our feet. We had to be careful not to step on them. Ducks were everywhere.


I saw for the first time and fell in love with the American Widgeon, otherwise known as the cutest green-headed duck in all the land. (Take that Mallard!)



My other newest bird love is the adorable Pocket Owl (real name = Saw-Whet Owl) who sleeps in trees and waits for me to come get him and bring him home with me in my hoodie pocket.

(Saw-Whet Owl photo by R. Weber - used without permission because he is a jerk.)

The best bird moment was seeing a Hooded Merganser really showing off and primping and preening his hood. If he could have talked to us he would have yelled "LOOK AT ME IN ALL MY MAJESTY! I AM SO HANDSOME AND BEAUTIFUL. LET US MAKE BABIES!!!" I mean, just look at him.

(Hooded Merganser photo by R. Weber - used without permission because if I asked him, he might say no.)

The great thing about going to the sanctuary with R is that he is an avid birder so can tell me the names of all the birds and he takes really awesome pictures with his really awesome camera. Take a look at my cell phone picture of a bald eagle and his picture of that same eagle.


I bet you weren't surprised that this picture was taken by me with a cell phone.
and this picture was taken by R, an accomplished bird photographer. (Picture used without permission because R sucks.)

The worst thing about going to the sanctuary with R is that he makes you carry the tripod the whole time and then HE NEVER USES IT! He is the worst. His pictures are excellent though.

The sanctuary trip was a success and R and I have made a new goal to go three more times this year, once in each season. Prepare yourself for future bird photo posts dear reader.

No comments: